Saturday, March 21, 2009

Lioness of the Week: DJ K-Sly




Name: Kathleen Marie Taylor
Stage Name: DJ K-Sly
Hustle: DJ/Host
City: Home Town: Army brat/LA native
Birthplace: Seoul, Korea
Current: Inglewood


1. When I was a kid I daydreamed about....

changing the world AND living in Paris.

2. As an adult I daydream about...

changing the world (improving the lives of our children) AND living in Paris

3. In my group of friends I'm the one who...

bitches

4. When I was growing up I was told that I couldn't...

"get the same respect as a man" because I was a girl.

5. How did you break into your industry?

God pointed me to someone who believed in me.

This is exactly what I did before I got my first commercial radio gig: I prayed, "If it's meant for me to be in the entertainment industry, please give me a job within a year." I prayed that in August 1998, and got my first job in August 1999 in Atlanta, GA, co-hosting with Ludacris. That was my big break. Before that, I practiced, studied, entered broadcasting competitions, made mixtapes... I had a college radio show for 4 years where I also played the role of Hip Hop show director & Assistant Promotions Director. I played at 2-3 clubs a week and threw my own events.

6. Favorite part of what you do?

Rockin' parties! It's really just... fun. I love connecting with people. Constant evolution. Learning how to handle extreme & abnormal situations. Pushing myself to the limit.

7. Least favorite part of what you do?

Always having to watch my back. It takes a lot of energy...keeps you on your toes though. You gotta take the good with the bad!

8. Who do you admire in your field?

Outkast for being the dopest! Jay-Z for his amazing talent & longevity. Kelis for her uniqueness, even when it wasn't "cool," she showed her eccentricity. Naturally. Angie Martinez ...she's a vet. Lil Jon for his energy and humbleness. Also, the many DJs who took risks, even if it meant their jobs.

9. My top five favorite artists/producers are....

Alive? Hip Hop? Artists: Outkast, Jay-Z, T.I., Common, Nas.

Producers: Pharell, J. Dilla, Just Blaze, Dr. Dre, DJ Quick.

10. My favorite fashion designers/brands are:

Betsy Johnson, hands down. Zoe D has some dope stuff. I rock Rebel Spirit; they're new. I like vintage shopping and, of course, Forever 21! (Though not everyone admits it.)

11. Moment when your hustle paid off was/will be when...

WAS when I reached my goal to be on LA radio and I had two TV shows. When I paid off my student loans, that's when I knew I made it. haha
WILL pay off when I finish producing some projects. Next, hopefully I can help more than myself.

12. My family is proud of me because...

I try

13. One thing no one knows about me is....

I'm half white. People always think I'm full Korean. Another thing? I listen to classical music but it doesn't calm the savage beast in LA traffic! I flip out!

14. Shameless plug (what do you want the world to know):
www.myspace.com/djksly

www.djksly.com

http://djksly.podomatic.com


I have a couple of projects in development. Musical and possibly on TV.

Also, please pray for my dear friend, DJ Hideo who is overcoming stage 4 colon/liver cancer. www.prayforhideo.com