Thursday, July 2, 2009

Lioness of The Week: Aixa Weekes!!!



Name: Aixa Weekes
Hustle: Fashion/Entertainment/Travel - Fashion Editor, Giant Magazine
City: Home Town: Longmeadow, MA
Current: Brooklyn

1. When I was a kid I daydreamed about....
Wow, I daydreamed often...My most memorable were being a professional ballerina, going off to college like Whitley Gilbert finding my Dwayne and working as a high powered exec dressed like Robin Givens in Boomerang.

2. As an adult I daydream about...
Now, I dream about working alongside the Obamas in pursuit of making the White House the "People's House". However, ultimately my goal is being an amazing mother and wife... Opening a recreational and study center that caters to minority teens, preparing them for college and the world beyond.

3. In my group of friends I'm the one who...
adds just a bit of flair.

4. When I was growing up I was told that I couldn't____ because I was a girl.
No one has ever dared to say that to me.

5. How did you break into your industry?
Working with events photographer Johnny Nunez was my first gig when I moved to NYC. I then made several contacts, interned at america magazine and passionately worked my way to Fashion Editor at GIANT.

6. Favorite part of what you do?
No two days are alike and the people are the most fascinating.

7. Least favorite part of what you do?
Dealing with shady characters.

8. Who do you admire in your field?
The doers and shakers who turn their dreams into reality.

9. My top five favorite artists/producers are....
Just 5??

10. My favorite fashion designers/brands are:
Azzedine Alaia, Ralph Lauren, Coco Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent

11. Moment when your hustle paid off was/will be when...
It's still a hustle in progress, but I'll be satisfied when "money ain't a thang".

12. My family is proud of me because...
I have a good heart and stay prayerful.

13. One thing no one knows about me is....
At 9, I sang Tevin Campbell's "Tomorrow" as a solo in my church. Every time I hear that song it brings back great memories. lol

14. Shameless plug (what do you want the world to know): AIXA WEEKES, now you say it!

No comments: