Friday, July 18, 2008

Nas week....



So Nas has been on his grizzly with the promo run. His album dropped this past Tues...and I'm diggin it. It's been a long relationship...me and Nas...as a New Yorker and hip hop lover, I was a die hard fan of Illmatic...but the relationship has been a bit shaky, and on and off since. I have to say this album is SOLID. He has embraced the fact that he has something to say that goes beyond jewelery,cars and chicks...and seems like he's past deliberating whether he wants to take the fluff route or whether he wants to just do him...which is what he does best (letting you into his head). It's evident that he has just gone ahead and DONE him...so he gets the thumbs UP on this one. I think timing wise it's really good, bc he is questioning a lot about the world around us on this album...and although you may not agree with his views, he will create dialogue as he did with his "hip Hop is dead" statement. With the war going on and the state of the economy being what it is...people are looking more closeley at the govt and decisions being made...people aren't as willing to be led blindly...so as they say timing is everything...and he was on it this time around...

Wed night I went to Cabana where the Nas album release party took place. I didnt realize it was also an ESPY award after-party. I know there are tons of women in LA, but I was kind of like...damn Nas has a LOT of female fans (lookin a lot like groupies though)..but then I was informed that it was the athelete crowd...so that explained the THIRST that was in the air.
The party was cool...saw some folks in the bldg (or I should say plaza..it was outdoors)...Keri Hilson, Ne-Yo, Pacific Division, Cool Kids..was good to see some of my NY folk in LA...Buttaman and Ethiopia...a bunch of tall dudes aka athletes (I'm bad at recognizing them in the dark)...sorrry..cant name drop on that one...where's Clari when ya need her!?!



Anyway...Night # 2...went to the Zune mansion to see a private Nas performance...Green Lantern was on the 1 and 2's. This crowd was kind of a combo of industry and fans...saw some more of my peoples...Pacific Divison again, Coodie (video director)and some others...
the show was dope...was good to see the performance in that intimate setting...he of course did "Aint Hard To Tell", "One Love", some other classics and brought it to "Hero" (which I like) and "Breathe" off of the current album.
So yeah that was my Nas run...good stuff..

Tonight is his Myspace performance at the Roxy, which I'm sure will be dope..but I think I've had my dose of Nas for the week...!

No comments: