Monday, August 11, 2008

Why You Should know Muhammida El Mujahir....This Weeks Featured Lioness


Name: Muhammida El Muhajir
Hustle: Creative Director/Sun in Leo+ Co-Owner, Frank White + filmmaker
City: Brooklyn, NY by way of Philly

1. When I was a kid I daydreamed about...greatness

2. As an adult I daydream about...the day I can finally get out of the rat race and chill in the country/island/beach

3. In my group of friends I'm the one who...inspires others to do and be the best they can

4. When I was a little girl I was told that I couldn't_____bc I was a girl
beat the boys (in track) but I proved them wrong! I went to a high school (Central in Philly) that used to be all boys and there were only 4 girls on the team so we had to run with the boys and I used to beat a lot of them in practice! They would get teased afterward. Bu running with the boys helped get a full track scholarship.

5. How did you break into your industry? I made a lot of connections while attending Howard University and started out working on music videos as a production assistant + casting director. My first industry job was working at The William Morris Agency. I learned the ins + outs of the business and players in the game. I next began doing independent marketing and events planning and then went to work at Nike as Music Marketing manager. At Nike, I was able to expand a lot of my creative/innovative marketing ideas. Currently, I run a marketing/pr agency, Sun in Leo (http://www.suninleo.com/) which builds branding strategies and promotions for clients (Diesel, Pony, Carol’s Daughter, K Swiss, Volkswagen). I am also an owner/partner at Frank White ( http://www.frankwhitenyc.com/ ) nyc , a new cafĂ©/gallery space in Brooklyn and continue to work on independent film projects and finishing my documentary, Hip Hop: The New World Order about the global impact of hip hop culture.

6. Favorite part of what you do? Manifesting my visions

7. Least favorite part of what you do? The personalities!

8. Who do you admire in your field? Diddy

9.Fav designers are: Patricia Field as a stylist who mixes vintage, couture + street fashion (they sell their own line at the store). Her style really reflects my personality.

10. Moment your hustle pays off was/will be when: I have traveled all over the world and know people in most major cities (Tokyo, Paris, London, Sao Paulo,) I realized I made it when I go to those places and know all the right people to roll VIP everywhere I go!

11. My family is proud of me because...I do what I love, follow my passion and always do my best!

No comments: